Saturday, November 3, 2012

Pa Raffa's Italian Restaurant - New Bedford, MA


Pa Raffa’s in New Bedford is an old favorite for when I’m craving pizza, which was the case on this night.  Before we even arrived I knew what I would be ordering.
 
We were seated in one of the smaller booths located in the center of the restaurant.  This is not the most comfortable of the tables, but there were not many other seats available so we didn’t ask for a different table.  Pa Raffa’s is definitely nothing fancy and the décor hasn’t changed in years. A complete remodeling could do wonders for the restaurant but apparently something is working for them since they are always busy. It doesn’t seem that anyone minds the old, outdated booths, tables and decorations!  Apparently I don’t mind either since we continue to go back!

The waitress arrived to take our drink order and, knowing that they didn’t have Malibu Rum, I ordered a Parrot Bay and Diet Coke ($4.25).  My husband ordered a beer – Sam’s Seasonal on tap ($3.75).

Pepperoni Pizza
I knew that I was having a dinner salad with cheese ($3.35) and a Pepperoni Pizza ($7.95)!  My husband was not as decisive as I was so he opened his menu to read through the choices.  He had been wanting chicken parmesan for a while and considered ordering this but opted for a hot tuna grinder ($6.30) and an order of sweet potato fries ($5.50) instead.
Super Thin Crust

Within minutes my salad arrived along with a basket of bread.  I almost always order my salad with just oil and vinegar but I decided to get blue cheese dressing instead.  The dressing was good as far as blue cheese dressing goes but I’ll stick to the oil and vinegar next time.  I think the big mound of pizza cheese on top of my salad made the blue cheese too thick and rich for the salad.

Hot Tuna Grinder
It didn’t take long for our meals to arrive.  My pizza never disappoints!  Very thin crust and loaded with lots of pepperoni!  I shook a bit of crushed red pepper on top and dug right in.

My husband’s grinder was not very exciting, but he seemed to enjoy it along with his basket of sweet potato fries.  I can never resist eating a few fries from his plate so I ate some of those, too.
Sweet Potato Fries

The total bill for our meals, including tax, came to $37.82. We did, however, order a linguica pizza to go (for my daughter), which cost an additional $8.55.  

Pa Raffa’s is not for a fancy night out but when I’m craving a pepperoni pizza, I am always more than happy to go to Pa Raffa’s! 

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I've been a big fan of Pa Raffa's for years. Great food, great service, funky retro Italian atmosphere. Thanks for reminding me of this awesome little place!

    ReplyDelete