Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Nephew's - East Freetown, MA

The Nephew’s is an Italian/American restaurant located in my hometown of East Freetown. On nights when we don’t want to stray too far we will often dine at this restaurant.  It is located at 2 Crossroads Drive, directly off of exit 8 on Route 140.  We practically have the menu memorized so when we decided that we were going to eat there, I automatically began thinking about what I would order.  Given the rainy weather, tonight I was in the mood for a nice comfort food – lasagna.  While lasagna is not one of my favorite foods, The Nephew’s does a great job with dish and this is one of the few places that I would even consider ordering lasagna.

We arrived around 6:30 and were promptly seated in one of the many large booths available in the dining area. Given that it was Friday evening, I was a bit surprised that there was not a wait to be seated (the wait on a Friday night can sometimes range from 10 minutes to more than an hour).  They do offer call ahead seating, which I would recommend if you are planning to visit on a weekend.

Once we were seated by the hostess, our waitress Debbie arrived to take our drink orders.  I ordered my usual Malibu Rum with Diet Coke (I don’t need to say “no lime” when I’m here since all of the waitresses know me). My husband ordered a Sam’s Seasonal (summer) bottle.  As soon as the drinks arrived, the waitress was ready to take our orders. 

My husband ordered first.  As he does quite often, he tried to order the Texas Ribs but they were out.  This is typical so if you are planning to head to The Nephew’s for ribs, don’t get your heart set!  We were told a while back that the number of rib orders available depends on the number of prime rib sandwiches they sell the night before (the ribs are made from the prime rib bone and are absolutely delicious when they are available).  Second choice for him was the Steak Pizzaiola sandwich ($10.95). This sandwich is a New York sirloin steak (cooked to your desired doneness) smothered with fresh mushrooms, onions and peppers topped with red sauce and cheese served on an Italian roll. Hold the onions for him!

As planned, I ordered the lasagna ($11.45), which came with a side of plain or garlic bread and a side of extra sauce. The lasagna is layered with meats and cheeses with an additional layer of melted cheese on top. For an extra $2.25 I ordered a tossed salad with blue cheese dressing (I should mention that I love the blue cheese dressing at The Nephew’s).

The salad was out first and the dressing was delicious as always.  The salad is always nice and crisp with a mix of iceberg lettuce and fields greens topped with tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions and croutons.  Since I can never finish my salad, my husband shared it with me.

When the waitress arrived with our meals, I ordered a Closed Meatball Sandwich ($6.25) “to go” (for my daughter).  Although they charged an extra $.75 for cheese, it is still a good deal for a fresh made meatball sub.

I finished just more than half of my lasagna and decided to take the rest home.  Debbie boxed up my leftovers, brought out my daughter’s sandwich, and brought us our check. We paid for our dinner with cash (they DO NOT accept credit cards at The Nephew’s) and we were out within an hour.

Overall, this was another satisfying dinner at The Nephew’s – we’ll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment