Sunday, April 14, 2013

Waterfront Grille - New Bedford, MA


We were heading back to Your Theatre, Inc. on Rivet Street in New Bedford and wanted to go back to Fernando’s Grille and Bar but luckily I called ahead only to find out that they would not have any available seating until 7:30 p.m.  Since we were going to see a play at 8:00, this would not have allowed us enough time for dinner.  We needed a Plan B and since we were heading in the direction of downtown New Bedford, we called ahead to see if WaterfrontGrille, located at 33 Homers Wharf, had a wait.  It was approximately 6:15 and we were told that there wasn’t a wait so we decided to check it out.
When we arrived, there was a hostess located just inside the doorway and there was a long hallway toward the dining area.  We were quickly seated next to a window overlooking New Bedford harbor. 
 
View when we arrived
 
The view was wonderful, with fishing vessels docked on the pier and the sun just beginning to set in the distance over the water.  I was hoping that the meal would be as good as the view.

The waitress arrived immediately to take our drink order.  I decided I would only be having water but my husband ordered a 7&7 ($5.50). While waiting for our drinks, I looked around the dining room and noticed that the restaurant was relatively large.  There were a few separate rooms available for seating along with a small bar in the main dining room where we were located.  In addition, there was a sushi bar that was set off to the side of the dining room but appeared to be vacant and closed during our visit.  Considering it was a Friday night and the restaurant was large, there were not a lot of guests dining when we arrived.  There were only two other tables being served a third party was seated at the bar enjoying cocktails. 
Ginger Orange Glazed Scallops
After reviewing the menu I decided on the Ginger Orange Glazed Scallops ($18) which came with a choice of two sides.  The list of available sides was extensive and consisted of French Fries, Sauteed Kale, Steamed Broccoli, Saffron Risotto, Sweet Potato Fries, Coconut Rice, Steamed Spinach, Brown Rice, Mashed Potatoes, Cole Slaw, Baked Sweet Potato, Baked Potato, Roasted Carrots and Wasabi Mashed Potatoes.  I chose the Sauteed Kale and Coconut Rice. I thought that these sides would make a nice accompaniment to my pan seared scallops as this dish was described as scallops cooked in an orange ginger sauce and garnished with scallions.  As a last-minute addition I decided to order a side salad ($4) with blue cheese dressing.

Side Salad


My husband ordered Baked Scrod with seasoned crumbs and herb butter for $16.  For sides, he chose Sweet Potato Fries and Cole Slaw.
Baked Scrod
After placing our order the waitress brought us a basket of warm rolls with cinnamon butter. There were two different varieties, French and herb, to choose from and both were delicious, especially with the cinnamon butter. 

As soon as I was finished with my salad, our meals arrived.  At first glance, the meals were attractively plated and looked like they would be delicious.  My plate had seven large scallops, a perfectly portioned serving of coconut rice and a heaping pile of sautéed kale.  While the scallops and rice looked delicious, the kale, on the other hand, was very off-putting.  I was expecting a nice sautéed kale but this side was more charcoaled than sautéed.  The edges of the kale were burnt, both in flavor and appearance.  I took no more than two bites but it was not very pleasant.  I ate the scallops and rice, both which were delicious but left the kale on my plate. 
View when we left
My husband enjoyed his baked scrod but commented that the serving size was rather small.  The scrod was baked in a small bowl and may have appeared larger if it was in a different vessel when served. 

Overall the meal was okay.  The seafood was fresh and the view was beautiful. Aside from the side order of kale, the food was decent.  We will likely not rush back to the Waterfront Grille but I wouldn’t cross it completely off my list of restaurant to dine at.  The total bill, including tax was $46.55.



No comments:

Post a Comment