Sunday, September 2, 2012

Cafe Roma Restaurant - New Bedford, MA

We were heading out a bit later than usual and didn’t have any specific plans on where to dine.  After talking about it for a few minutes, we figured we would stay local and go to CaféRoma, located at 3371 Acushnet Avenue in New Bedford (Route 18).  My mind instantly begins to think about what I’ll be ordering.  Steak!  When I’m in the mood for a steak, we usually head to Café Roma since they serve a pretty good steak at a decent price.

Café Roma is advertised as having Italian-American Cuisine. They have a good selection of pasta, seafood and beef (prime rib is one of their specialties) on the menu. In addition, they offer sandwiches and pizza. I don’t recall ever ordering pizza, but my husband will often order a sandwich (either tuna or steak), which comes with a side of French fries.

Today we both ordered something a little different.  I ordered the Pub Style New York Sirloin ($15.99).  The menu says “Caramelized Onions & Blue Cheese”.  You can’t go wrong with that combination on top of a steak.  When I ordered, our waitress, Lucille, confirmed it was a good choice. My dinner would be served with soup or salad. Kale soup was on the list of soups that night. While I almost always get a salad with my dinner, I thought I would try the Kale Soup.  I asked Lucille if the soup was good and she was honest and said she had not tried it that night (she admitted it could sometimes be very salty).  Her comment that she would bring me a salad if I didn’t like the soup made me feel better about ordering it.  I also opted for a side of pasta with my meal instead of the potato and vegetable.
 
My husband ordered the Smokey Mountain Chicken ($10.99), which was a boneless chicken breast topped with BBQ Sauce, Bacon & Cheese.  He chose a salad with French dressing, French fries and corn on the cob for his vegetable. While I swear he has ordered this at Café Roma before, he swears he never had it and if he had, he would have ordered it more often since it was so good.  Positive comments on his meal!
 
The soup and salad arrived.  Definitely salty! The Kale soup was not what I would have expected from a typical Kale soup. This soup had a beef broth base that was a bit too overpowering for my liking. I considered replacing it with a salad but realistically knew that I was going to have too much food anyway.  I ate a few bites of the soup and stole the olives and onions from my husband’s salad!  I let Lucille know that the soup was very salty and, as promised, she did offer to bring me a salad, which I declined.

Our meals arrived (which are sent upstairs from the basement kitchen by a “dumb waiter” – this saves the waitresses from making numerous trips up and down the stairs throughout the night) and we dug right in.  The combination of caramelized onions and melted blue cheese was a fantastic addition to my sirloin steak. Good choice!  The steak was cooked perfectly to my liking and there was only a bit of fat on the edge of the steak.  No worries, I cut it off and knew that it likely added to the great flavor of the steak.  No leftovers for me!

As mentioned before, my husband really enjoyed his meal.  He did manage to save just enough chicken to take home for a sandwich the next day.  The fact that we were brought a basket of bread and butter helped to fill him up.  The bread they serve at Café Roma is basically a sub roll cut up into small pieces but the butter they serve with it makes up for the lack of fancy bread.  I can’t figure out why the butter is so good but I think there is just a little hint of honey added to it. 
 
After drinks and tax, our total bill was only $41.70.  Don’t expect fine dining with a quiet atmosphere (there is a large bar with several televisions near the upstairs dining room and the downstairs dining area is a bit “crowded” with no ambiance) at this restaurant but if you are looking for a good meal at a decent price, Café Roma is a great place to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment