Saturday, September 29, 2012

End Zone Sports Pub - New Bedford, MA


At my husband’s suggestion, we dined at the End Zone Sports Pub on Friday, September 28th.  When we arrived, parking was difficult since all of the lots were already filled.  We drove around the block and found on-street parking not too far away.  Considering the crowded parking lot, I expected to have a long wait.  I was starving and didn’t want to wait very long for a table.  Twenty-minute wait!  I could handle that but wasn’t convinced that it would be only twenty minutes since there were a lot of parties waiting ahead of us.  Regardless, we gave our name to the host. Just for kicks, I also started the stopwatch on my phone. 

There were two empty seats at the bar so we decided to have a seat and order a drink while we waited. We paid for our drinks ($10.50) at the bar and waited for our table. Eleven minutes later, according to my stopwatch, our name was called.  That was definitely a pleasant surprise.  We brought our drinks with us and were seated in a booth in the center of the restaurant.  There was plenty of seating with four rows of booths just beyond the large bar with visible T.V.’s from each booth.  Since this is a Sports Pub, the theme, as you would expect, is completely about sports.

The End Zone has a relatively large menu (which can be found on menujoy.com) consisting of a little bit of everything. There were appetizers, burgers, sandwiches, pizza, steak, seafood, chicken and more on the menu.  They also had an extensive list of specials on the board to choose from. It was a difficult decision, but I was finally able to decide on the Carne d’Espeto (tenderloin tips marinated in wine and Portuguese sauce, served with rice pilaf and fries) for $14.99. My husband ordered a cup of Scallop and Bacon Chowder ($3.25) from the special board and a Buffalo Chicken Sandwich ($8.99).  He was given the choice of hot or mild and he chose mild. As usual, I also ordered a dinner salad ($2.99) with blue cheese dressing.

After taking our order, the waitress brought us a basket with two mini Portuguese rolls and returned shortly after with our chowder and salad.  I took a bite of the chowder (before my husband could add the crushed oyster crackers) and thought it was absolutely delicious.  It was a rich, creamy chowder loaded with scallops and potatoes. The bacon added a salty flavor but was not over-powering.  I wished I had ordered a cup for myself – especially since my dinner salad was not very good at all.  The salad was basically a plate of iceberg lettuce with shredded carrots and a few cucumber slices, red onions and croutons thrown on top.  I ate what I could of the lettuce (some if it was browned) and looked forward to my meal arriving.

Carne d'Espeto
My Carne d’Espeto sat on top of a heaping mound of rice and steak fries!  They also didn’t skimp on the hot finger peppers that were placed on top of my dish. The tenderloin tips were grilled as requested (medium doneness) but there really wasn’t anything special about the taste. I can’t say the meal was bad.  Average and a good meal for the price is how I would describe it.  I ate all but three of the tenderloin tips but could barely make a dent in the rice or the fries.  I would take the remaining tips home and have them for lunch the next day.
 


Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
My husband’s sandwich was a very typical sports pub meal.  My husband described it as “good, but not very buffalowy” (he should have ordered it hot instead of mild).  His sandwich was also served with a mound of steak fries and also included a side of blue cheese dressing and a dill pickle.
 

The End Zone gives you lots of food at a reasonable price. It’s certainly not gourmet, but it isn’t bad food.  If you’re looking for a sports bar experience, then I would recommend trying the End Zone Sports Pub (218 Coggeshall Street, New Bedford, MA).

Our total bill (with another drink included) was $37.69 after tax.  Menu Joy does have a coupon available for $5 off a food purchase of $30 or more but it is only valid Sunday through Thursday so I didn’t print it out and bring it with me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment