Sunday, November 18, 2012

Fernando's Grille & Bar - New Bedford, MA


The last time we went to see a production at Your Theatre,Inc., which is located on Rivet Street in New Bedford, we drove past Fernando’s Grille and Bar (418 Rivet Street) and was impressed by the outside alone.  I had never heard of this restaurant and it looked to be a fancy place so we made a note that we would visit at some point to give it a try.  This week, we were heading back to Your Theatre, Inc. for another production and this gave us the perfect opportunity to dine at Fernando’s.

We arrived at 6:30 p.m. and we were greeted by a hostess at the main entrance. She offered to seat us at a high table in the bar area. When we told her we would prefer to wait for seating in the dining area, she advised that it was a 45 minute wait.  The high table in the bar it is!

As soon as we were seated, a basket of rolls was brought to our table along with a bowl of olive oil seasoned with parsley and crushed red peppers. There were also a few small containers of butter, if we preferred that instead.

In addition to the wine menu and food menu, we were also given a list of specials for the evening. Appetizer specials included Bruschetta, Caprese Salad and Tomato Basil Soup. Dinner specials included Swordfish, Stuffed Haddock, Salmon, Lobster Ravioli, Roasted Duckling and Veal Chops.  Before I had an opportunity to review the actual menu, the waitress arrived to take our drink order.  I had my typical Malibu and Diet Coke ($5.50) and my husband ordered a Long Island Iced Tea ($9.00).

While waiting for our drinks to arrive, we finished reviewing the menu.  There were several choices that looked delicious, making it difficult to decide. I was torn between the Stuffed Haddock special ($17.95), the Lobster Ravioli special ($18.95) and the Grilled Atlantic Salmon ($18.95) from the main menu.  I decided to choose the Stuffed Haddock, filled with seafood stuffing finished with lobster champagne saffron sauce. I think it was the description of the sauce that helped me make my choice. 

My husband finally gave in to a craving he had been having for a few weeks and ordered Chicken Parmigiana ($13.95) for his entrĂ©e.  The menu described this dish as a lightly breaded chicken breast with fresh basil tomato sauce, reggiano parmesan and aged mozzarella cheese.

Our drinks arrived, we placed our orders, and we had an opportunity to take a look around the restaurant.  Our seating did not allow us to get a complete view of the dining area but we did have a great view of the bar, which spanned the entire length of the back room. Red backlighting created a nice ambiance and showcased a beautiful display of wine bottles on each side of the bar. The liquor bottles were also illuminated with lighting that changed color and showcased the frosted bottles. Looking up, I noticed the ceiling was ornamented in terra cotta colored stamped tin designed with angel harps, wreaths, and other ornamental designs. The ceiling was a perfect complement to the dark walls that were painted in grays, greens and purples. Natural hardwood flooring that was throughout the restaurant completed the look.

Noticing the time was 7:15 p.m., I started to worry if we would make it to the 8:00 p.m. show that we planned to attend.  Almost on cue, the waitress stopped by to tell us that our meals would be next out of the kitchen.  True to her word, our meals arrived less than five minutes later. 

Chicken Parmigiana
My husband’s Chicken Parmigiana looked so delicious that I immediately reached over and had a bite of the linguini pasta that was on his plate.  I did, however, wait patiently for him to cut into his chicken before I asked for a bite of that. It tasted as good as it looked. The chicken breast was lightly breaded and perfectly cooked with a thin layer of melted cheese on top.

My meal also looked delicious and was served with red bliss mashed potatoes and roasted butternut squash.  Although I was not given a choice of sides, I will say that the mashed potatoes were very good and had a hint of parmigiana cheese that added to the flavor.  I took a bite of my butternut squash before giving it to my husband. While I’m not typically a fan of squash, I have to admit that the maple and cinnamon on this roasted squash made it taste more like a dessert than a vegetable. 


Stuffed Haddock
The star of my meal was of course the Stuffed Haddock.  The haddock was fresh and flaky and was covered in a delicious, creamy sauce that was as good as it was described. The seafood stuffing had a bit of spiciness, which I liked, but couldn’t figure out where the spice was coming from.

We finished our meals and promptly paid when our check arrived (it was now 7:40 p.m. – only 20 minutes until show time)! The total cost for the evening, including tax, and another drink for my husband, was $58.21. Fernando’s looks fancy on the outside but they offer reasonable priced, delicious meals with a great atmosphere. Both my husband and I agreed that we would have no problem dining there again!

No comments:

Post a Comment