Saturday, December 1, 2012

Not Your Average Joe's - Dartmouth, MA


I received my annual members-only birthday gift from NotYour Average Joe’s so we decided to use my gift this week. To become a member, simply sign up for their e-mail club (either in the restaurant or on-line) and you will automatically receive a birthday email that you can print and bring to the restaurant.  The email entitles you to any entrée AND dessert of your choice for your birthday.  There are two things that I love about this gift.  First, it is truly for the birthday guests’ meal – not the lower priced meal.  Second, they allow you three weeks to use it so you are not limited to this free meal just on your special day. 

I know that Not Your Average Joe’s is typically very busy on a Friday night and the wait time can be in excess of an hour. I also know that you can make reservations (which I forgot to do) or call ahead to put your name on the list.  We called the restaurant at 5:40 p.m.knowing that we planned to arrive at approximately 6:30. p.m.  I was told the wait was 45 minutes to an hour.  This was going to work out perfectly! 

We arrived at 6:30 p.m. as planned and were told it would just be a few minutes before we were seated.  Unfortunately, we still waited an additional 45 minutes for our table.  While we were being seated, the hostess apologized for our long wait and handed us menus.  Immediately after we were seated, our server, Amanda-Lyn, arrived with a basket of their “famous” bread and poured olive oil into a plate of parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper. While mixing the oil with the cheese, she asked us if we knew what we wanted for drinks.  Since I was having a “birthday dinner” I thought I would review the specialty drinks for something a bit more special so she gave us a few extra minutes to review the drink menu. 

Before Amanda-Lyn left our table, the manager walked over and apologized for our long wait. He said that we should never have waited that long (I assumed because we had called ahead and were given an estimated time).  I hadn’t minded the wait but he then proceeded to offer us a free appetizer for our troubles.  Of course!  I told him that I would love a free appetizer and I was also celebrating a birthday and had my email for a free entrée and free dessert!  The manager made a couple of suggestions for an appetizer and we quickly decided on the Buffalo-Caribbean Chicken Tenders ($8.99).  I wasn’t sure what to expect but when I read the menu it said that the chicken tenders are hand-breaded and tossed with their addictive mango-buffalo barbeque sauce, served with pineapple-jalapeno salsa and blue cheese dip.  Sounds delicious so I think we made a great choice.
Pineapple Painkiller

After reviewing the cocktails on the menu, one particular drink sparked my interest.  A Pineapple Painkiller ($7.99)!  I have been feeling a bit under the weather with a cold coming on so I thought anything with painkiller in the description was bound to help.  This drink had house-infused pineapple-jalapeno tequila, muddled pineapple, freshly squeezed OJ and cream of coconut, sprinkled with nutmeg.  Sounded too intriguing to pass up so that’s what I decided on.  Amanda-Lyn said that it was her favorite drink and warned me about the jalapeno before confirming my choice. My husband ordered a Long Island Iced Tea ($6.99) because he knew that they were good here.
 

Buffalo-Caribbean Chicken Tenders
Our Buffalo-Caribbean Chicken Tenders arrived before we even placed our meal order and I was happy with our choice.  These tenders were seasoned with just the right blend of sweet and spicy.  I thought these were better than the more traditional buffalo chicken tenders that are usually served at restaurants and could see why it was described as “addictive” sauce.  We placed our meal order and then we easily finished off this dish while enjoying some bread dipped in the cheesy olive oil.
 
Short Rib Stroganoff
I typically order the Balsamic Glazed Salmon ($17.99) when I eat at Not Your Average Joe’s but I really wanted to try something new.  After reviewing all of the entrees, I decided that I would order the Short Rib Stroganoff (as long as they could prepare it without the glazed carrots) for $16.99.  Perhaps I went for this choice because it sounded like a fabulous comfort food – just what I needed to help me feel better from my cold (that and, of course, my Pineapple Painkiller)! The Short Rib Stroganoff was described as Joe’s take on a European tradition with short ribs braised in red wine, served over fettuccine with sugar snap peas, caramelized pearl onions, roasted mushrooms, glazed carrots and a dollop of sour cream-horseradish sauce.  Before I ordered it I asked if it could be prepared without the carrots.  She told me that all dishes were made to order so they could add or omit any ingredients.  I also told her that I was unsure about ordering it because I typically go for the salmon.  My final decision was made when she told me that she would exchange the stroganoff for the salmon if I didn’t like it.  It was like “food insurance” – how could I go wrong?

My husband apparently wasn’t very hungry because he only ordered the entrée sized Waldorf Salad ($11.99). This salad had shredded chicken, granny smith apples, Craisins, red grapes, caramelized pecans, smoked mozzarella and romaine, with creamy sherry vinaigrette. 

I ordered a second Pineapple Painkiller and a couple of glasses of water while we were waiting for our meals to arrive.  Even though the wait to be seated is long, the food comes out of the kitchen very quickly.  As soon as my stroganoff was placed in front of me I knew it would be delicious.  The beef was so tender and flavorful and the snap peas were sweet and crisp.  After my first bite I was glad that I didn’t get the salmon.  My husband had a few bites of my beef and agreed with how good it was.  He commented about his salad only to note that it was just a typical salad – nothing special about it.  With my delicious meal in front of me, I wasn’t even tempted to take a bite of his salad so I can’t comment first hand. 

I finished my meal and while I didn’t think I could eat another bite, we decided to go ahead an order my free dessert (although Amanda-Lyn did say we could take it to go).  I narrowed my choice to the Hot Apple Cinnamon Sticks ($6.50) or the Crème Brulee Cheesecake ($6.99) and then left it to my husband to decide (since I knew he would be splitting it with me).  He chose the cheesecake. This, as they described it, was a blend of the most popular desserts – creamy cheesecake with a caramel drizzle, fresh whipped cream and raspberries.  The cheesecake arrived with a lighted birthday candle to make my night special.  I made a wish, blew out my candle, and dug right in.  Heaven on a plate – need I say more?

The total bill for the evening would have been $72.69 including tax but with my free birthday entrée and dessert, along with the free appetizer that we were offered for waiting so long, the bill was reduced to $37.41 (we then tipped on the full price).

The service and food were great at Not Your Average Joe’s – making it worth the long wait.  Anyone planning to visit this restaurant should definitely make a reservation or use the call ahead seating option unless you want to wait for more than an hour to be seated.  Don’t forget to sign up for their e-mail club, too!  What’s not to love about a free entrée and free dessert for your birthday? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment